Steel arch structure is no longer unfamiliar in the construction industry; this roof structure brings uniqueness and creativity to various projects. With the advantages of pre-engineered steel construction techniques, this structure offers many benefits for construction projects. Let’s explore the steel arch structure and its advantages in the following article with Pebsteel.
1. What is a steel arch structure?
A steel arch structure can be understood simply as a steel structure with an arched shape. Arches have smaller bending moments than beam and frame structures, resulting in material savings. This structure provides high aesthetics and durability for industrial projects such as exhibitions, cultural centers, swimming pools, sports arenas, etc.
In steel arch structures, the main dimensions include span length (L) and arch rise (f), with:
- f – depending on usage conditions architectural and economic factors.
- The optimal ratio of f/L = ⅕ – ⅙. As f increases, the moments and vertical forces in the arch decrease. However, due to architectural constraints, the maximum allowable f/L is typically taken as ½ – ⅕.
2. 3 types of steel arch structures in construction
Today, there are three types of steel arch structures widely used in construction:
- Two-hinged arch: This is the most common type today. Thanks to the hinged joints’ ability to rotate freely, the arch can change its shape without causing stress when the temperature changes and settles at the support joint.
- Three-hinged arch: This hinged arch is statically stable, has lighter foundations, and is not affected by temperature changes. Additionally, the internal forces in the three-hinged arch are more significant than those in the two-hinged arch, thus limiting settlement during use. However, having a joint at the apex can lead to some complexities in the structure of the arch and roof.
- Hingeless arches: This design belongs to the third-degree statically indeterminate system. This arch type has a relatively even distribution of moments, making it highly material-efficient. Additionally, this structure is lighter than the two-hinged and three-hinged arches. However, this arch type requires larger foundations, which may be affected by temperature changes and settlement at the support joint.
Read more: Types Of Factory Canopy And Applications
3. Advantages of steel arch structures
Steel arches are widely used in construction projects. Many business owners favor this structure due to the following outstanding advantages:
- The steel arch structure ensures high durability, providing robustness to the construction.
- It meets aesthetic requirements for most types of projects.
- The steel arch structure maximizes cost savings and minimizes energy consumption. It is also environmentally friendly due to its minimal material usage.
- Recycling and reusing the steel arch structure can be easily accomplished.
4. Some projects utilize steel arches
With a team of skilled professionals and experienced workers, Pebsteel has significant expertise in using steel arches on various construction projects, including airports, pre-engineer factories, etc. Here are a few Pebsteel projects with steel arches:
The information on steel arch structure is discussed above, along with the advantages of this structure in construction and typical types of arches. If you are looking for comprehensive solutions for Pre-Engineered Steel Buildings and Steel Structures, please get in touch with Pebsteel via email at email@example.com or phone at +84 908 883531 for an immediate consultation.